Articles appearing in other places
This page contains the text of articles which have appeared in newspapers and magazines, as well as links to articles on other people's websites.
- 8 Nov 2011: Times What's the risk of queuing?: text :
- 3 Oct 2011: Times There's a 90% chance we won't panic[paywall]: text : pdf
- 25 Feb 2011: Times This insurance ruling will drive us to distraction[paywall]: text : pdf
- 3 Jan 2011: Times Stalin had a point (flu returns) [paywall]: text: pdf
- 29 Nov 2010: Times It's a girl! (sex ratio and unattractiveness of parents) [paywall] : text : pdf
- 25 Oct 2010: Times The money's in the bag (Walker's Crisps competition) [paywall]: text : pdf
- 8 Jul 2010: Times Curse that psychic octopus, he makes me feel a fool [paywall]: text : pdf
- 1 Jul 2010: Times Children at risk [paywall]: text : pdf
- 21 Mar 2010: Times Scientists need the guts to say I don't know: [paywall]: text : pdf
- 30 Nov 2009: Times You can't rank hospitals like football teams: [paywall]: text : pdf
- 3 Nov 2009: Times An uncertain scientist's guide to taking risks (David Nutt) : [paywall]: text : pdf
- 1 Aug 2009: Guardian Weather forecasts are not pseudo-science (response to Simon Jenkins): text : pdf
- 17 Jul 2009: Times Swine flu is a real danger to children. But not a Dickensian one: text : pdf
- 7 May 2009: Times The risks of swine flu? I haven't a clue : text : pdf
- 10 Feb 2009: Times Agony and ecstasy of risk-taking (micromorts): text : pdf
- 12 October 2012: Radio Times Living dangerously text
- 10 Sep 2010: Institute of Maths and its Applications Dealing with the media text : pdf
- Dec 2009: Significance One match to go! (with Yin-Lam Ng) : pdf
- 1 Sep 2009: CAM Magazine Don's Diary text: pdf
- 15 Aug 2009: New Scientist: Don't react, think text: pdf
- 9 Apr 2009: CARR magazine Communicating risk pdf
- Mar 2009: Significance London murders: a predictable pattern? (with Arthur Barnett): pdf
- Mar 2008: Significance Bacon sandwiches and middle - class drinkers: the risk of communicating risk (with Hauke Riesch) : pdf
- 4 Sept 2012: BBC Magazine Will I live longer than my cat
- 13 Oct 2011: Guardian: Comment is Free Chances of being hit by junk from space
- 21 March 2011: BBC Asia-Pacific Japan nuclear threat: The tsunami is the bigger tragedy
- 6 Dec 2010: Guardian: Comment is Free The myths of coincidence
- 14 June 2010: Times: Eureka Blog Of war and peace [paywall] text
- 26 Jan 2010: Guardian: Comment is Free What's the real risk from terror?
- 7 Dec 2009: Straight Statistics A statistical casualty
- 25 Sep 2009: Straight Statistics How many celebs have you slept with?
- 13 Aug 2009: Straight Statistics Question marks over Corby judgement
- 6 May 2009: BBC Health: Scrubbing Up 'Choose the yum and risk the yuk?'
Understanding Uncertainty column in Plus magazine
- 15 Dec 2010: Plus: Issue 57 Pure randomness and art
- 8 Oct 2010: Plus: Issue 56 How psychic was Paul?
- 12 Jul 2010: Plus: Issue 55 Small but lethal
- 1 Mar 2010: Plus: Issue 54 Infinite Monkey Business
- 1 Dec 2009: Plus: Issue 53 Breast screening: a statistical controversy
- 4 Sep 2009: Plus: Issue 52 Football crazy
- 1 Mar 2009: Plus: Issue 50 2845 ways of spinning risk
- 1 Dec 2008: Plus: Issue 49 What was the probability of Obama winning?
- 31 Aug 2008: Plus: Issue 48 How long will you live?
- 31 May 2008: Plus: Issue 47 The maths of surprises
- 1 Mar 2008: Plus: Issue 46 The premier league
- 1 Dec 2007: Plus: Issue 45 A league table lottery